View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 9:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Fantastic set and storytelling. I swear, every time I visit one of your threads, my tolerance for miserable weather increases (or maybe that's just from living in Portland). You've convinced me that I have to visit this corner of the continent sometime.
Thank you!

I do love some weather that others might find miserable. Proper, dense fog (pea soup fog, we call it) brings a smile to my face. I walk outside into it like people might stroll off a flight from Iceland outside the airport in LA.

But snow, I hate. Real rain, I hate. Most of the rain we get here is much closer to mist, which I mind less.

But there's still something about a blue sky... we don't get it often. Even when it's bright and obviously sunny here, the sky is still sometimes white.

As for St. John's... I try to be objective. That's why I don't take offense when people describe it as a small town, or dislike it based on accurate impressions. That's all fine with me.

But it really is a spectacular place to visit. That VISIT word is key if you're someone who needs nice weather, big cities, etc. You couldn't live here... you'd go crazy. It's very much a small, close-knit city in atmosphere. But you would get a tremendous amount from visiting.

I've met so many tourists that have been changed by coming here. And I make a point of stopping, and giving a wide-smiled welcome to anyone who is obviously not from here. Anyhow, the one I remember most was an older (it turned out) German woman. Her husband, who died several years previous, was a Newfoundlander but she'd never been. And she was sitting on a wall at Queen's Battery, overlooking St. John's, crying. That's why I approached her, to ask if she she alright. And, as part of a lengthy conversation, she said she felt, being here, as though she'd discovered a love letter to her that her husband wrote before he died, that this was the only way she could describe it.

And that melted my heart. It's wonderful to feel like you're not the protagonist in your own life. It was genuinely cool.

Anyhow... this sets us up perfectly:

Video Link

(The one thing in this that may not immediately make sense: the reference to being a half-hour ahead is literal. We have our own time zone, Newfoundland Time, which is 1.5 hours ahead of New York City).