View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:02 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Not buying any of that...sprawl isn't all about large homes. Most of the large surburban homes people are buying are not built on previously undeveloped land in the exurbs. You are describing an extreme circumstance.
What?

I watched what was previously forest get clearcut to make room for those houses so who are you to tell me what I directly observed—and what you can observe in Google Earth—isn't happening?!?!

Go to that location in Google Earth and use the time slider, you can see that neighbourhood progress from forest to suburb in the span of a decade. In five years it will be twice the size it is now, and what is it surrounded by? Forests, and grasslands that are failed farms. (The soil here can't support farms but were doled out as if they could, it resulted in a unique development pattern in our rural area that I won't go into detail about here. the "farm" to the left of that area is a junk yard owned by a guy with three "hobby cows".) When I was a kid, that area was a dirt road that ended in the middle of the bush.

You're pretty out of touch with reality. Sure, many subdivisions in cities to the south and west of us are built on farms, but that doesn't mean it is OK to build on the farms. Where else are we going to get food? You realize it have to come from somewhere else before popping up on shelves at Safeway, right?