View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I went to the open house for the Rapid Bus priority lanes the COA had on Wednesday. They had the whole route of Lavaca and Guadalupe printed out and spread on tables. I had seen the pdf linked here or online and wanted to express my concern for a few intersections.

1. The UT stops that have been built out into the ROW rather than the bus pulling over to the sidewalk. Some cars have already hit these concrete curbings out in the ROW. They are hard to see, silver railings and light gray concrete.

2. The bus now stops in traffic stopping traffic for 30 sec or such rather than pulling to the old curb stops. I can only think that bigger buses = more people = more time. Cars approaching a stopped bus ("bus jumpers" I call them) ver sharply out from behind the bus into the other lane often not looking and very little room to spare. That will increase as the irritation increases from longer wait times.

3. The bicycle lane is now going to be moved over to where the bikers have to watch out for the people crossing the bike lane as its now between the bus stop and the sidewalk. How many times will the people be hit because they don't look for a bike coming, who will have the ROW to cross first.

4. At 15th street on Guadalupe south bound, the bus has its priority lane, the car has to cross that lane and the bike lane to get to a right turn lane, while at the same time the biker has to move left into the bus lane. To me this is a really bad design, who will have the right to move into their lane if at that crossing area. They plan a green bike area but that does not mean the bike has the ROW.

5. Currently the driving route is fairly straight. But they plan to have the road ver so many feet to the left or right like 3-4 times in either direction. People in the city are not wanting to pay attention to more lines moving them around, its just confusing.

6. The stupid train crossing at Airport and Lamar is at least 3min wait and then if your to far back another wait for the light to change. They need to fix that RR Xing soon its such a time waster when driving south on Lamar.

Ok enough venting for this post.
1. This _shouldnt_ be a problem once construction is finished and all lines are painted. Cars would have to be driving in a parking lane to hit the stop.

2. What are you talking about? The #1 and #3 have always stopped in traffic (and I've been stopped behind them a lot). Actually, boarding is _supposed_to go faster, since its now multi-door.

3. This is already discussed ad nauseum in this very thread.