View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I like what I see!

I've considered Salt Lake at times as a place to live temporarily (economy seems pretty good) but not sure if I could deal with the conservative climate overall (i know SLC proper is supposedly liberal but I bet most jobs are in the suburbs).
It depends on what you emphasise in life. If you are in to the incredible scenery and limitless outdoor activity at your doorstep, then you will love Salt Lake. If you are a patron of the performing arts, then you will also find Salt Lake an amazing and very accessible treasure trove of high caliber performing groups.

Take it from someone who has lived all over the world, including Salt Lake City, and who currently lives part time in L.A. When I lived in Salt Lake, before moving to L.A., I lived in a large home with five roomates. My roomates were from Washington D.C., Boston, Des Moines, Detroit, and Chicago. Four of the five were fairly liberal in their lifestyles and politics. All were heavily into the outdoors, and also held down excellent careers in the area. All loved it in Salt Lake City! Remember, while there are allot of families in the area, there are also an inordinate amount of singles of all stripes. Salt Lake City and it's Metro have a very high, if not the highest amount of 20-30 somethings in America.

Personally, I've found Salt Lakers in general and Mormons in particular to typically be not nearly as pushy about their religion as say many other proselytizing, diverse Christian denominations. In Salt Lake, I've never been approached. Infact, it almost seems taboo or non p.c. in Salt Lake, and at least it's eastern suburbs. However, in L.A. I am approached often and it's often not very positive. There have been times when I've had to warn certain people of risking being thrown off of the set of the workplace, if they didn't cease pushing their particular dogma on myself or others. I love L.A, but many people are far more pushy about their various dogmas, than in Salt Lake City.