View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 9:30 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I dunno, I think TOD (Transit Oriented Development) has improved in Canada since Metrotown and Brentwood. We need to give these developments time to mature and fill in.

You cant really use metrotown as an all-encompasing example of Vancouver TOD's It was built in the 80's and is surrounded by parking lots.

TOD's need to have a good mix of low and high rise while respecting the angles of the sun so they dont become too shaded. Too much low rise (even though I love it) makes for low density.

I wouldnt write Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver off just yet. They are learning form old mistakes and working to improve, not makes things worse. And for cities of 1 million, Calgary and Edmonton have very dense downtown areas which are fully serviced by transit. LRT in downtown Calgary runs basically right down the centre and services everything. I cant wait for the next 10 years in Calgary, so many good changes happening.

Even the crappy Crowfoot Town Centre area has began to build up and fill in a bit.

Now if we can just get them to build up the Franklin Park and Ride. The views are amazing!!
Yeah With the SE line going underground through downtown, it will finally connect the central beltline with the rest of downtown transit! Going to be awesome instead of having to walk fifteen blocks to get to 17 ave we'll only have to walk 7! and there's a lot of really cool bars opening up on 10 ave as well

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.