View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:50 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Has anybody asked comrade Dix what he would do? It looks likely he'll be the next guy in charge.
The BC NDP's plan for transit (afaik) is to put the *existing* carbon tax revenues to transit funding instead of tax cuts (especially for corporations). As much as I hate the BC NDP, this simply simply makes the most sense instead of what the BC Liberals have done for that tax.

Presumably, they will cancel the tax refunds, especially for the corporations (no surprise) and I would think that since its the provincial carbon tax, the transit funding would not only encompass Metro Vancouver but elsewhere in the province (i.e. BC transit in Victoria).

The thing is this policy only came after the 2009 election (Metro Vcr mayors were the first to suggest this). Had the BC NDP decided not to play populist politics (i.e. having an axe the tax campaign) for supposedly easy votes and made this part of their platform, there was a possibility they could have won. But this was under Carole James, who frankly is stupid, so her party lost and rightfully so.

Note that this is the current plan under Adrian Dix, BUT this is the BC NDP we're talking about so if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is no guarantee they would do it if they are in power since it makes too much sense (to be fair, all parties are guilty of broken promises). I would expect the Translink board to return to the mayors, which sounds good in theory, but with Derek Corrigan around, is too much of a circus. Still, it was still better than the current system since the previous system did kick out that ugly little troll that is Doug McCallum out....