View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I did say it was an estimate and I did say close to. The main point being that it would be grade separated. The numbers you provided tell me that the Bombardier trains perform better than the Hyundai trains. Only 250m difference and yet you get 25% better performance. So you have to take more than just station spacing into consideration. That being said, my estimate of close to 40 km/h is high so I'll go with 35 km/h using bombardier technology.

The areas I covered are the densest parts of the city covered only by trolley buses. These are the first areas that should have rrt. Skytrain is a great service but it serves as a medium range commuter service. There are 45 000 people who live in the west end and another 40 000 people who live in kits, as well as 25 000 people who live in Mt Pleasant, all relying on buses as their main source of public transit either to get to work or to get to a Skytrain station for the shorter part of their trip. This line would replace more buses and get more passengers per km than any of the other lines. I think that's good justification.

I'm not sure what service the Broadway Line will duplicate besides the B Line and most of the East\West bus routes in Vancouver, which to me is a good thing. And for the most part my fantasy line would only duplicate a lot of bus lines as well as diverting passengers away from the Expo Line.

I like and appreciate your rationale for your design, Logan5. However ....
I do think there should be a Hastings line extension out to, say, Willingdon.