View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:39 PM
Hindrance to Development

I did a bit of reading in the city's historic preservation ordinance, and these are the potential qualifiers for a building to be considered eligible for the Sacramento Register of historic buildings and cultural resources. A structure only needs to qualify under one of these conditions:

* Associated with historic events
* Associated with the lives of historically significant individuals
* Embodies the type, period or method of construction
* Work of a master
* High artistic value
* Has yielded, and is likely to yield more, archaeological information

Integrity of location, design and setting are lesser factors. These factors are also used for historic districts or contributing resources.

For the Greyhound station, the third category, "embodies type, period or method of construction" is the applicable category: I won't try to argue that the station is the work of a master or has high artistic value (although I'd say "moderate.")

By the way, currently a request for demolition for any building over 50 years old triggers a review by preservation staff to see if a building qualifies as a historic structure under any of these qualifiers. If a building does qualify, staff starts the nomination process. So a project that called for the demolition of the Greyhound depot could trigger the events that would preserve it...unless, of course, the building was integrated into a larger, adaptive-reuse sort of design.