View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 8:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I have always enjoyed Regina (no pun!)

Also of course Burnaby should count, any city under 500 000. the same as allowing Westmount to count. Because if you dont count Burnaby (which is not in vancouver city itself) then where exactly would you draw the line? Does Richmond count? Does Surrey count? What about Abbotsford? It has to be an all of nothing based on city boundaries, if not you have to many gray areas. Metrotown is no where near downtown Vancouver, it is an independent skyline in a city with a different government, so yes, it should count.
As I said, Burnaby is part of greater Vancouver. I remember reading years ago that suburbs were included in a city's metro population if at least half the working population of that suburb commute to the city to work so I totally disagree that Burnaby's skyline should be included because a significant number of the people that live in those residential highrises that make up the Burnaby skyline commute to Vancouver on a regular, if not daily basis. Their proximity to skytrain is one of the things that makes living in Burnaby so attractive. I think you can rule out any suburb on that basis.

To make things easier I have compiled a list of the 10 largest cities that qualify using that criterion and the 2006 Canadian census stats:

London Ontario 457,720
Kitchener Ontario 451,235
St. Catharines Ontario 390,317
Halifax Nova Scotia 372,858
Oshawa Ontario 330,594
Victoria British Columbia 330,088
Windsor Ontario 323,342
Saskatoon Saskatchewan 233,923
Regina Saskatchewan 194,971
Sherbrooke Quebec 186,952

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM.