View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
The Crenshaw line will serve an area that has substantially similar population densities to previously constructed light rail lines. The buses that use Crenshaw are already packed which is what I go by to predict how successful a new light rail line will be with existing riders. Crenshaw Blvd. is a fairly significant destination as well and very significant if you are black. That's why the Vernon stop is important. I'd have liked to have seen the line on Vermont, but Metro is determined to get people to ride the Silver line.

The northern terminal for now is Expo. Where it will be eventually is anyone's guess. I'm really hoping West Hollywood, if for nothing else because West Hollywood was screwed by Measure R. They voted for Measure R in higher numbers than anywhere else, only to see the purple line head for Beverly Hills, which is apparently having buyers remorse.
The Crenshaw Line won't serve anybody because buses already move easily along this route. Buses make perfect sense for short shopping trips both because of their cost and flexibility. Railroad makes sense for longer trips: but in the case of Crenshaw there is no destination at either end.

In spite of your remark, the areas covered are hispanic, Asian and white as well as black; but none of this is relevant. It's just not dense and not an employment center.

You are really agreeing with my analsysis without wanting to say so. You make arguments for completing Purple and/or Pink (to WeHo) so as to give SOME purpose to Crenshaw. Why not build them FIRST, since they are obviously needed? Instead, they are not even on the schedule while the outer burbs are connected (Leimert Park to Lawndale, more or less). This is my whole point.