View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
NY Daily News keeps shifting towards becoming a tabloid. For shame.
They call it as they see it, New York style.
Quote:
The American Institute of Architects new Guide to New York City has named Renzo Piano's New York Times tower at 620 Eighth Avenue the ugliest building in the city
But this may be more up your alley...

The Wall Street Journal
Quote:
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010...-fit-to-print/

The Ugliest Building That’s Fit to Print

July 6, 2010
By Aaron Rutkoff

The American Institute of Architects — never a group to remain silent in the face of structures that it deems unattractive — has released an index of the ugliest buildings in New York City, part of the local chapter’s annual guide to the city’s architecture. And guess who is ugliest this year? Hint: it’s the new headquarters of daily broadsheet newspaper.

It may not be the ugliest, but as one of the city's tallest, likely the most prominent of the ugly. I stand by the judges decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
But I guess skyscrapers have to look good in postcards only right? Doesn't matter if they provide a better environment for the people who actually use them right?
Judging by the criteria listed in the article, I'd say the rankings were based on appearance. Even the ugliest buildings in town can have a nice environments inside.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.