View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The freeway from Hwy 1 to Hwy 99 is/was planned to run up the Serpentine River Valley. It has probbaly been deferred because of the South Fraser Perimeter Road.
Yes, the so-called Serpentine Hwy has always been planned. All the upgrades and expansions as part of the MoT's Border Infrastructure Program are meant to handle this increased traffic rather than constructing the Serpentine Hwy (i.e. upgrades on Hwy 10 and 176 St.)

Annoys me quite a bit considering Hwy 10 and 176 both go through communities in Surrey, and the expansions are turning these roads into "real" highways. They were previously just arterials roads with a fancier title. I would have much preferred the highway traffic to diverted onto an actual highway that goes through the ALR, away from any civilization - reduces collisions, reduce noise and air pollution in communities, and it also gives the traffic a more direct route to Hwy 1. With the Border Infrastructure Program, it's just forcing the trucks to make a big L, versus if the Serpentine Highway were built, it would just cut right through.