View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
About 1955 or so, my aunt took my sister and I camping at Tin Can Beach. Spent one night there. Very primitive place, no toilet or fresh water there.....basically an awful place then.
Absolutely. As I understood it then, it was outside the Huntington Beach city limits, and so got little or no maintenance or amenities. You had to mind your p's and q's walking through the sand in your bare feet. The upside of this was that there were fewer people there.

The stretch of PCH alongside it was called Blood Alley. Since there were no cross-streets for quite a stretch, drivers would get up to quite a high rate of speed. Meantime, at that time, it was legal to park roadside there (no parking lots there then). This meant that folks concentrating on walking to the beach, or drowsy after spending a few hours in the water and/or basking in the sun, and maybe somewhat drunk, would be trying to cross the highway in their bare feet or flip-flops, and not paying much attention to the cars barreling towards them at 60 mph.