View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 12:55 AM

Hermosa, Manhattan, Shakespeare Beach, Moses Sherman, Eli Clark

OK, beach it is.

I saw this 1909 image on ebay:

Reverse:

details:

Shakespeare Beach (a name I never heard as a child) has come up before in regards to this image posted by e_r:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Manhattan Beach, Calif. [1890s]

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay

Does anyone recognize this area?

__
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I showed the photo to Steve Meisenholder at the Manhattan Beach Historical Society and he agreed with several thoughts I had. First, the date is probably too early. There were really no buildings to speak of in the area that is now Manhattan Beach in the 1890s. Steve estimates the correct date to be around 1910....

[Steve added:]
"Here are a few more of my thoughts on the old photo. I want to clarify why there were houses along Longfellow Ave. in 1910. Longfellow was one of the streets laid out by Moses Sherman and Eli Clark in 1903 as part of their unsuccessful effort to establish a literary colony in the northern part of Hermosa Beach in 1903 to the east of Shakespeare Beach. Sherman and Clark had put in a trolley stop at Shakespeare Beach on their Los Angeles and Pacific (LAP) electrified railway line which which ran near the beach between Playa del Rey and Redondo Beach (begun in 1902 and completed in 1903)..."
Longfellow is just three or four blocks south of the Manhattan/Hermosa border (red line):

google maps