View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 7:17 PM
Witty comment fail

My initial thoughts on the Lightning Route.

This route would hit all the major 'hot'spots. Capitol, restaurants on Jefferson, Brewpub, Stadium, 'Grocer's Alley (which actually still has visible spur line tracks), 1 block from Riverwalk, Civic Center, half a block from intermodal, Troy U, restaurants on Montgomery, and the historic ride up Dexter.

Problems?

Are we talking circle route or 1 train going end to end on a single line. A single line would probably go up and down Commerce and Dexter.

I don't know the turning radius of the proposed units (if a circle route)... I'd assume they could do 90 degrees on the proposed streets, but I don't know.

It's going the wrong way down Jefferson. Jefferson is a developing street... but it's got potential. Madison is where the route used to run (all the way up into Capitol Heights), and the tracks may actually still be there, but running a line down Madison could be a serious traffic issue, and it wouldn't actually go by anything of interest except the RSA Tower.

It also wouldn't address 'commuter' issues. A line or a spur to the Crampton bowl parking lot would get a ton of use during the week.