View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 8:31 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Never get tired of looking at it.
Well if you are a skyscraper fan, or just a fan of good work you can't stop. The people, the design, and the presence of this tower was (and continues to be) some of the most impressive in the world hands down. Fazlur Kahn, Bruce Graham, and the entire team at SOM staked their futures on this design and it worked! Yeah, I love Sears Tower and I think that really put them on the map, but without John Hancock Sears would be something totally different today. It's that classic "Reinforced Tube" design that allows these two monsters to bookmark one of the best skylines in the world.

To me, Sears is a large and almost offensive office building with little interaction with the general public. John Hancock, on the other hand, is the model for mixed use to the max in skyscrapers! It's interaction with the public is what helped make Magnificent Mile what it is today. The tower welcomes those wondering in off the street with stores, resturants, and boutiques. Whereas Sears stops you at the desk unless you have official business in the tower or are going to the SkyDeck. That is the main definning points of the two sister towers. Yes, these towers are tied to eachother at the hip, but the similarities end around the second floor. John Hancock was built FOR THE PEOPLE and Sears was built FOR THE COMPANY. Still, both function as they should and are unmatched in many arenas. Great thread. I have really enjoyed the pictures in here, especially the slides with construction of JHC taking place. As one said earlier on, finding construction pictures of JHC is really hard for some reason. When I do see a construction shot, especially from a new angle I am ver intrested in it! Thanks for posting those shots!!

With all that said, I would love to add a few photos of "Big John" I have gathered. I was up in Chicago a couple times this year and this is what I have thus far (until my next trip!).

All can be found in my "Chicago" Gallery on my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography/

Enjoy them and sorry about their size. I am a sucker for big pics with lots of detail in them. Give them time to download.

Michael Davis

The Observation Deck up on the 94th floor. BTW, let me say this. The elevator ride up John Hancock Center from the ground floor to the 94th or 95th floor should be an amusement park ride. That son of a gun is flying and you feel it! Especially if you are close to the door. You feel the wind and you are well aware that this isn't the slightly slower Sears Tower (no, I refuse to call it "Willis Tower") elevators.

"Big John" from the Sears Tower. Despite the haze over downtown, it still looks great! Hard to imagine that the broadcast towers on top are as tall as most cities tallest skyscrapers!

From the corner of North Michigan and East Chestnut at Water Tower Place.

View from the top. This is just a sick view even if the lighting wasn't the best.

One of my personal favorite shots of Chicago. This is what it's all about folks!!

That's all for now. This is an amazing tower! Please, if you have stories or photos, post them and help this thread keep going!!! Also, if you are going to Chicago or are planning a trip close by, a stop at JHC is a must. Make time for it please, you WILL NOT regret that at all I promise!

Last edited by Lexy; Oct 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM.