View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I think that if we, as a city, have to have the ramparts bylaw imposed on us, then there should be more events held within the Citadel so that people can enjoy this unique atmosphere. Right now it is seen as "being for tourists" and "stifling development" but it would actually be a very interesting venue for things like art shows, concerts, even raves. Since the interior is basically all stone I don't think that maintenance would be a huge issue? Everything is inherently very hard to break. I guess it's kind of the same argument as "Should the Public Gardens be open for the winter?"; are these parks fragile artifacts that need to be protected from the public, or are they urban treasures that are meant to be enjoyed from within?
More events inside the Citadel would be something for which I'd advocate. It is a unique space that has the potential to host a variety of events. We do not utilise it nearly as much as we could be.

And in terms of the Public Gardens, I haven't really considered it to be fragile...just ugly and boring, during the winter. I've assumed people aren't totally crazy, and won't entertain themselves by trampling all over the covered flowerbeds, many of which have shrubs that are wrapped for winter protection.

We would need to suddenly be concerned with snow removal as well; though, this is something to which I'd look forward because the space inside the Public Gardens, with paths freshly cleared of snow, would be quite dramatically different than to what we're accustomed.