View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:56 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lots of chatter about an explosive report on CBC's Fifth Estate to be aired later this week that alleges singer Buffy Ste-Marie is a "pretendian" with no Indigenous ancestry.
Is this a joke? She's 82, clearly looks Indigenous, and a legend. A Canadian treasure. That would shock me. She's still rocking out as an Octogenarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That would surprise me, she actually has very indigenous features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would find that very difficult to believe. She looks more indigenous than 95% of her first nations compatriots/
Exactly

BSM is supposedly (Piapot Cree) from the area of/near Qu'Appelle Valley of Saskatchewan, and ended up being taken by her family and subsequently adopted by White American parents in Massachusetts when she was around 2 or 3 years old. *Even if it turned out she's not from this particular band/tribe of Saskatchewan she must have Indigenous DNA from some tribe of North America*

I've been to Qu'Appelle Valley and you can almost feel the ancient connection to the land there. It has this really strong energy that I cannot describe. Similar to seeing and experiencing the Cabot Trail for the first time, or being in the Rockies for the first time (for Québécois maybe going back country camping in the Laurentides, or seeing Gaspé) but a different feeling.
It truly feels like a majestic place in the Prairies.

I still regret not getting tickets when Covid was still circulating of her performance in 2021 at the completely revitalized c. 1894 Massey Hall in Toronto.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Hall

A great song I recommend with good headphones and eyes closed
Video Link

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 26, 2023 at 6:09 PM.