View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
MDOT to transplant legendary Detroit recording studio for I-94 rebuild

ANNALISE FRANK
Crain's Detroit
January 11, 2019

-State transportation department bought United Sound Systems Recording Studios and its parking lot for $1.7 million
-Decision was years in the making, as MDOT sought a way to avoid harming the historic property while getting I-94 rebuilt
-Aretha Franklin, Miles Davis among those to record hits there

Quote:
MDOT bought the United Sound Systems Recording Studios at 5840 Second Ave. in Midtown and its adjacent parking lot Dec. 14 for $1.7 million. It plans to sell the historic building at public auction after moving it slightly north onto the parking lot, away from the retaining walls expected to be built for the I-94 modernization project.

The department hasn't yet determined a cost or timeline for the move, spokesman Rob Morosi said.

The building was listed for sale for $1.5 million in June this year, Curbed Detroit reported.

United Sound, Detroit's first major independent recording studio, has been jeopardized by impending I-94 highway widening over the years. Detroit City Council designated it a historic district in 2015, but from 2005 until around then, demolition was a major possibility.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...o-i-94-rebuild

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection