View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
You really brought this to us a bit too late that emails would have made a difference, no? That's always been a pet peeve of mine about so many preservation groups. Many of them don't pop up and say something until it's too late to stop the bureacracy. This is a done deal. You just posted a thread showing this that the contract has already been awarded. Do you realize how rarely demolition contracts are broken?

As for the contract, it looks that at least there was no secret motive behind this. In Detroit, they'd have rewarded the contract to the highest bidder, and then came up with some bullsh$t excuse as to how and why that happened, when in reality, it'd be because the contractors were friends of someone in city government. Hell, it'd have probably been a no-bid contract.
Admittedly I did post this too late, but I'm curious nonetheless (more from a sociological point of view).

There is actually a small bit of hope for these buildings from a bureaucratic angle. Certain politicians tried to ram this through so quickly they failed to do things like public consultations, heritage and environmental assessments. They also expropriated property without a plan for development, or at least the plan when the property was expropriated fell through. I'm not sure where the law stands on that, but I think the expropriation may have been illegal and certain former owners may have legal recourse.