View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2004, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
Well, I currently live in north LB (bixby knolls) but am moving to downtown LB in March. I wanted to find out what it is like to live there rather than just visit the pike, i know there is more to downtown LB than the Pike.
I understand your dilemma since I too had originally moved from Bixby Knolls to DT Long Beach a bit over 4 years ago. I was a bit unsure at first because I really didn't know much about the neighborhood. It certainly was much more urban and gritty compared to the well manicured lawns of Bixby. Anyway for me DT is a bit more busier since I live right on the street, as opposed to being in an apartment facing the courtyard and away from the street. I ended up downtown because the supply of condo's in Bixby was hard to come by. Even before the recent real estate boom, I had problems with people outbidding each other for an affordable place. As you know a home in Bixby is only for the well off to afford. I think overall the rent is a bit cheaper in Bixby as compared to DT LB.

Anyway I have come to love DT Long Beach, and I think it would be really hard to move somewhere else in LB. It's has grit, we have glamour, along with the urban city life. You also have the options of not using your car, and you can walk most places. I also take advantage of free Passport buses to get me around the area when I don't feel like walking. The Pike has it negatives of course, but I still rather to see a movies at Cinemark over Edwards at the LB Towne Center since both are new with stadium seating. Cinemark is also less crowded, and less hassle since you don't really have to drive there and look for parking.

I live off of Magnolia and 6th and I've never had any problems in this area. There are a few hippies/druggies thats been around for a while, but they are harmless. Most of my neighbors know who they are, but for the most part its pretty safe. There has never been any gang activity, or any bullets flying. If thats what you are worried about, it not a problem. There are a few spots that are cheezy, but not really bad like perhaps Compton, or even parts of North LB. There is a mix of people that live down here, so I would say just expect to see all kinds. It can get interesting some days, and my nephew and I get a laugh at times. We sometimes joke about the freaks coming out at night, especially at the Vons Supermarket on Broadway. If you end up shopping at the new Albertsons, you'll notice there is the yuppies, as well as the strange. It won't be your suburban supermarket. Wallmart on the other hand is just ghetto, but you still see a few yuppies, and even tourists (mostly europeans, and asians). Its beyond me why they would want to visit WallMart, but they do. I'm also guilty of shopping there for household items such as dishsoap, and things such as toothpaste. But I think many of the locals do as well.

The other thing I like visiting is the waterfront. The Yard House is a cool little spot for summer nights. They have a late night menu thats faily cheap. Its just a nice place to hang out on the patio looking at the marina. There are so many cool spots that most people outside the neighborhood don't really know about. They are far more than I can note in this reply. But trust me, Bixby Knolls can't compete. My suggestion is to get a pair of rollerblades and just explore. You will find all kinds of treasures that you don't notice when you just driving through. As you know the beach front is also downtown, and I spend many summer mornings skating along the bike path all the way down to the pier. There is also the Latin American museum, and the LB Museum of Art, and many other cultural events that happens downtown. That is if you like this kind of entertainment. There is also the Blue Cafe which seems to be quite popular. You are probably already aware Pine Avenue is full of night spots. I personally like Alegria, but there are many many good eats and night spots down here. I'm not one who frequent many of the night spots, but the ones I've been to are pretty good and not sleezy. I think you will love being so close to the ocean, well at least I am. Just taking a stroll/drive down Ocean Avenue, or walking along the bluffs will make you fall in love with this area. Seeing those highrises at night from the light tower, will quickly calm all fears of living down here.

I know this was very long, but I wanted to try and give you my experience. It will take some adjustment from Bixby, but for the good at least in my opinion. Also one of my relatives loves it downtown, and she moved from the white picket fence city of Rancho Cucamonga. Recently another relative (my nephew) has moved here from Ontario, and he swears he'll never move back to the Inland Empire. If you have any more question feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to answer your questions.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Dec 10, 2004 at 9:27 AM.