View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post

I will say though that until recently i never considered Lake Huron when i was planning a trip up north or to the beach but now i don't understand why the "bluewater coast" isn't Metro Detroit's go to "shore" and why area's like Port Austin which has big dunes to the SW nice beaches and a mini pictured rock's to the NE and only 2-2 1/2 hrs north on van dyke isn't well known at all. There are also several small cutsie tourist harbor towns with lighthouses like Lexington along the coast north of Port Huron as well that i would imagine could be popular close in alternatives for a weekend getaway.
Probably just the difference in quantity of scenic areas compared to other parts of the state.

Since the Thumb Region is mostly flat, there's a ton of farming which makes the journey uninteresting and boring. Only the few miles (or less) off of Lake Huron are anything interesting. Up north, you get miles and miles of scenery plus the varied terrain and even some inland lakes. It's easier to find your own little hideaway in nooks and crannies so to speak. The irony is that the remoteness up north makes it more attractive.

Somewhat related, IIRC, there's was a book on Metro Detroit's expected growth during the 1960s or 70s where urban planners thought the city would sprawl towards Port Huron within the next 100 years, but instead most people headed northwest into Oakland County. They were fairly optimistic Port Huron would become a new major port because of the connection to Canada and it's location between Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair. They also expected the region to have 15 million residents by now so... yea. Maybe if Port Huron (and by extension, Detroit) managed to keep up that sort of growth, Lake Huron would become dotted with resorts and attractions but since it's just not as attractive as up north by itself, it's just stayed under the radar.