View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
Martian

^^^

I hear you, what a disaster... I don't understand why, it's not like Chicago was out of space even in the 60s when the population was 3.4 million. They could have demolished the shortest, ugliest, most run down small building or post-industrial site close to downtown to build that skyscraper, why demolish this Beaux-Arts masterpiece... It's upsetting, so much of Chicago was (and is) in a serious need of gentrification, but hey let's destroy a monumental historic and culturally significant building downtown that cost millions to build and ornate inside and out and build new stuff there... What were they thinking...? Why couldn't we realize all of this would be a huge mistake and set up historic preservation laws 20 years earlier, then so many beautiful buildings would have been saved...

I say rebuild it somewhere else, but I know it'll never happen....

Another thing I don't understand is why on Earth did they destroy literally all of the magnificent neoclassical/Beaux-Arts buildings of the World Columbian Exposition. Makes no sense to me. We need a new City Beautiful movement.

Okay, I'm done with my rant.

Last edited by Yankee; Oct 26, 2009 at 11:21 PM.