View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:30 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Halifax: Skyline, Bridges, & Harbour

This is the first time I've ever posted photos that I've taken myself on a webforum, so I decided to start out small. They were all taken yesterday (Mon, March 3, '08) while I was walking from my suburban neighbourhood into central Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Here is the view from my neighbourhood looking toward the harbour:

This one is from the central area of what was formerly the city of Dartmouth (before amalgamation). Dartmouth makes up the entire area across thr harbour.

Looking up the Angus L. MacDonald bridge walkway. The bridge was originally 2 lanes when it was built in the '50s, but was expanded to three about 5 years ago. There is another identical lane for bikes cantilevered over the other side. Another interesting note is that the bridge is identical to Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge.

Here is a view to the northwest, showing Halifax's newer bridge, the A. Murray MacKay, along with a small power plant that supplies the Hfx area with extra power during peak hours.

One of Halifax's densest areas is the N.End, which is mostly town and rowhouses (many historic) and lowrise apartment buildings.

A slightly blurry skyline shot. It was very windy that day (and it's always windier on the bridge than anywhere else) so it was hard to keep the camera steady.

Citadel Hill, a glacial drumlin-turned British fortress is Canada's most visited National hstoric site. It is the site of the Midday Gun, a cannon that fires everyday at noon terrorizing central area residents and office workers. The summit has beautiful views of the surrounding city and harbour, and at night, the area becomes an important gay cruising ground.

Another skyline shot

Looking back toward Dartmouth:

Skyline shots showing Canada'a East Coast Navy base in the foreground.

Looking out toward George's and McNab's Islands and the N. Atlantic ocean:

Dartmouth's small downtown:

Highrises around the Halifax Commons:

Downtown N.End

A boat as seen through the guard rail:

Halifax on the side of the bridge opposite downtown. Lots of military stuff and historic neighbourhoods.

It was still sunny in the early afternoon, but clouded over later.

This Halifax midrise is only about half a decade old.

Looking back toward the bridge from North Street.

You can expect to see more from me in the comming weeks and months, but for now, thanks for viewing!

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Mar 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM.