View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 3:31 PM

I am a huge lover of politics - BUT - if you are a talented individual who can succeed in the business world (a private world) then why in heavens name would you consider public life unless you were a glutton for punishment, or really truly believed that you and you alone could be a beacon of change?

Case in point:
If I'm a successful entrepreneur, then I'm likely making well in excess of 6 figures annually (or more) where my life - although fairly hectic (vis a vis business demands) - is still private, and unobstructed (more or less) by the general public. As soon as I opt for a public life, every step I take and if my rank is high enough, the steps of my wife is put under the microscopic. Above and beyond the interrogation by numbers, I would be taking a substantial financial hit. Thus, unless I have a legit chance at sitting in the PM's chair - or a portfolio of choice, like Defense, or Trade (and nobody starts at the top) - then what would be the allure?

As it stands today, our premier in Manitoba is paid somewhat like an average small business owner. Perhaps the taxpayer won't justify a significant salary hike, but there is no way you are going to draw top-tier talent for $120,000 or so annually.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but the people who possess the skills we need/desire can apply their abilities in a certain sector and earn at a substantially higher level.

Then again, I'm not trying to argue that a Mitt Romney-type is a hero. Just that skills tend to equal big dollars in the private sector.