View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
It's encouraging to see Winnipeg's CMA growth rate above the national average at 6.6% from 2011-2016. Not surprising to see the Western prairie cites with the highest growth rates. I was a bit surprised to see Montreal, Halifax and Hamilton with growth rates below the national average. With its proximity to the GTA, I wonder why Hamilton isn't growing faster?

It still can't shake the feeling that it's taking forever for Winnipeg to hit the magical 800K mark. Seems like we've been in the mid 700K range for ages.
If you go by the City's own estimates and forecasts, Winnipeg is already beyond 800k CMA (should be ~815k this July according to the city)

http://winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf

As far as Hamilton goes, although it is part of that GTHA region it is still far enough away from the GTA, most of the growth that is happening is more central to the GTA (i.o.w. not as far out as Hamilton). If you're interested in living near Toronto and you need to commute to Toronto, there are many locations that are more central and thus more attractive like Mississauga.