View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If you read the Manifesto carefully, they suggest all these oil patch jobs can be replaced with new jobs in social work, health care and the arts (I'm not kidding here - it actually says that).
You must be reading it very carefully indeed..."Demand 7" says "We want training and resources for workers in carbon-intensive jobs, ensuring they are fully able to participate in the clean energy economy." "Demand 12" says "We must expand those sectors that are already low-carbon: caregiving, teaching, social work, the arts and public-interest media." I don't think your summary is accurate.

Listen: this "manifesto" is clearly a mess. None of it really conflicts strongly with positions the NDP has already taken, but it's overly broad and there's guaranteed to be something in there that would antagonise almost any person concerned with the environment (why does an environmental manifesto "call for an end to all trade deals"?). I don't think political parties are of the habit of letting pop culture writers draft policy for them. For the NDP to say that this aligns with their values is a no-brainer: it does. But that doesn't mean any of this is going to be NDP policy. It might, by coincidence.

Those of you who claim to support provincial NDP parties and don't want the federal party to embrace environmentalism lest it hurt your provincial party's chances, don't buy into the main-stream media spin on this one. The pipelines issue is the one that the media has latched onto, but this isn't party policy and that's hardly the most problematic of the "demands" in this "manifesto."