View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Guys, let's do some math here. A 25 story building with 190 units all for profit. Vs a 50 floor building with say 300 units (not going to double your density or FAR even if you double the height. It would get slimmer) with 30 "affordable" units. Assume each of those 30 units wipes out the profit of one other unit. So now we are talking about going through a zoning change with a bunch of other hoops to jump through so you can build (300-60=240, 240-190 is 50) 50 more units to a parcel. Is it really worth it? The marginal gain is miniscule.
I don't have the knowledge to be sure what you're saying is accurate. But there's certainly some truth to it and I'd be interested in hearing an informed counterpoint. I appreciate the perspective.

There's probably something government can do regulation-wise to incentivize developers to develop affordably. What we should certainly do to make housing affordable is get rid of parking minimums, especially in areas where the cost of land is low; make it legal to build courtyard buildings and four plus ones again; make it legal to build buildings that are mostly one-bedrooms and studios without having to navigate a bunch of veto points.