View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Well, since I didn't offend anyone with my ONC comments, let me try the Gherkin. To my thinking the principal building in that area was Holland House, which has a vaguely Tudor-esque, vaguely Dutch cross-hatched pattern, which has a nice rhythm and is quite attractive. The rest of the area is consistent with it in size and look, although not particularly interesting.

The Gherkin seems out of place. I tried to see it as a twisted version of a cross-hatch but I couldn't do it. Color and shape likewise seem alien to the area. I guess it is trying for an organic, growing, bursting out look, but again, that isn't the place for it.

I didn't think it played well from longer distance either. From across the Thames, it stands out along with St. Paul's and the towers of the Cannon St. Station. However, I couldn't feel any dialog among them. I don't think the Gherkin had much to say other than I'm big and green.

In the right place it could have been good. Maybe in Canary Wharf which could use a little jazzing-up and could certainly use some "greenery".