View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The "we don't like Calgarians telling us what to do" line caught the attention of Calgary Herald writer Don Braid, here is his column in todays paper:

Quote:
Braid: Edmonton airport dispute an excuse for Calgary-bashing
By Don Braid, Calgary Herald July 31, 2010 8:19 AM

First, I love Edmonton, OK? Edmonton readers who stumble across this column should remember that later on.

My wife's family as well as my son and grandkids all live in Edmonton. I've been working in and out of the legislature since 1978.

Fine city, Edmonton.

But, oh my, northern leaders sure are touchy about Calgary these days.

On Friday, Mayor Stephen Mandel blasted Wildrose Alliance Leader Danielle Smith for jumping into the debate over the planned closure of Edmonton's City Centre Airport.

He wasn't angry because he disagrees with her push to keep the airport open. No, he was infuriated by the mere fact that she's from

Calgary. "Many Edmontonians, and myself included, take offence when

Calgarians tell us how we should run our city," Mandel fumed after Smith held a news conference.

Smith rejoined that she owns a condo in Edmonton and pays taxes there. Can't she say what she thinks about a local problem?

Mandel's second and equally absurd line of attack is that provincial politicians shouldn't comment on civic affairs.

"This is a municipal issue and she shouldn't be interfering in it," he fumes.

But the closure debate crosses many provincial lines. The downtown airport exists under Alberta legislation. Shutting it down could bring environmental and legal impacts.

Also, Edmontonians have twice voted by plebiscite to keep the airport open.

Now the city wants to close it without another vote.

That's wrong, argues Smith, whose party supports regular plebiscites on issues exactly like this.

She happily signed a petition to put the matter on the fall civic ballot. Now, Smith asks why local Tory MLAs don't do the same thing -- a very good question.

Mandel, one suspects, is trying to divert anger toward Calgary and away from his own policy. There's nothing like whipping a distant scapegoat when a risky election looms.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/columni...#ixzz0vGqrs2aO