View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 4:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I would like to see brick for the upper section. Compliment the Morse's Tea building and keep the historic feel alive. If this were done I would like to see a special heritage preservation tax credit. 50% of normal rate for five years.

The brick on the Founders Sq. tower blends in with and compliments the historic street level buildings. Peter Kelly give Ben a heritage tax credit.
I agree with you on this, the Founder Square addition blends in well with the heritage buildings. I think brick would look good in this case also. It should be noted that the Morse's Tea building also had an addition of two stories of brick exterior in 1910 and now people just think of the entire structure as the Morse's Tea building (even through it is from two different eras - 1841 and 1910).

Based on the complexity of this renovation, I think it would be realistic to provide a tax credit which amounts to a freeze on the current tax rate for 5 years. After all, the municipality only gets the extra tax for the expanded square footage if the renovation proceeds (if it proceeds sooner then the municipality will benefit sooner through a higher tax assessment).