View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:07 PM

^they wouldn't have gotten banks to finance the construction, the PDC to build roads, OHSU's tram, etc. etc. if they weren't sure they had taken care of the flooding problem for the most part. It would take an 100-year flood to now rise over the banks and into the district...since the last one was in '96, I guess the millionaires are good until at least 2096...just kidding...with global warming, who knows if we will even have a river in 2096.

The seawall idea was thrown out because look at what the seawall did to downtown's connection with the river. It's terrible for the creatures that live in the river, terrible for humans that should connect with the river, and makes the view from the east side a little less attractive with a WWII looking concrete barrier rising from the banks of the Willamette. In fact, there is a waterfront park renovation plan that will try and reconnect downtown to the river, but mostly through catwalks over the river and such.

From my understanding, at least from the people trying to sell me a place at the discovery center, SoWa doesn't have anything to worry about when it comes to flooding.