View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityOfDreams View Post
apparently you didn't read my post Brudy... My point stands that the grit and rawness of Downtown Los Angeles are one of the key variables leading to its renaissance, and should be embraced ... The same thing that many here seem to want: a clean sterile downtown are the exact things that have left Brooklyn cooler than Manhattan, and Oakland cooler than SF, and on the adverse have left the sterile shells of cities past elitist and exclusive.
Dude, Brooklyn is over and Oakland is on the horizon. People are not attracted to the grit and rawness unless they're from the local burbs trying to feel cool about the city. People were initially attracted because you could get cheap awesome spaces. You could walk for some stuff. Downtown offered an urban experience unlike the rest of LA. I've lived here for years now and nobody likes the grit (aka homelessness) and my math skills aren't good enough to count the number of people who've left because of it. Oakland will be over soon because SF is so pricey. It all runs down hill. BTW, how many corpses have you seen in downtown? I'm at three, others I know have seen more. Wow, that's cool.

Downtown will never have it's late 80's Greenwich Village moment. That perfect slice of time in the gentrification process where it's still cool to live there and have independent shops, a place where artists and musicians and families could live. Or maybe that was 2007 or something on a small scale. Things have progressed too fast and the economics are against it.

If the kind of people who are moving to downtown are the kind of people who think watching people shoot up is cool and adds a cinematic quality to their 'urban' lives, then downtown is already dead.