View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
What would be some of the reasons for white flight? Want for more space and independence in the suburbs, bad race relations with incoming blacks from the great migrations, other factors, and/or a collection of these?
in my parent's case, rogers park, specifically the part they were living in at the time in north rogers park near howard street, was becoming more black in the 70s, but my mom has told me the main reason they moved is that they were sick of renting an apartment and finally had enough money to buy a single family home with a yard. they looked at houses in rogers park, evanston, and wilmette, and just happened to fall in love with the wilmette house and recognized it as pretty good deal so they felt like they had to pounce on it. it turns out they were smart to do that. despite what she says, i still have to believe race at least played a supporting role in their decision, even if she's too progressive-minded to admit it.

incidentally, rogers park never saw full-scale white flight. it's one of the rare chicago neighborhoods that saw an influx of black and then latino residents throughout the 60s/70s/80s/90s, but the white population never abandoned it en masse. even today, the racial break down of rogers park is pretty remarkable given chicago's notorious racial segregation seen in most other neighborhoods across the city.

rogers park 2015:

white- 42%
black - 24%
latino - 24%
asian/other - 10%

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 16, 2018 at 1:34 PM.