Thread: Sactown Photos
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Palm trees just seem out of place in Sacramento, a city of oak, maple, and redwood. I didn't know they had been there that long.
Sacramento is only the "city of trees" because people planted them. It didnt happen naturally. the most popular redwood in sacramento is the coast redwood, and we all know sacramento isnt a coastal city or even close. the second type is the giant redwood which is native to the southern sierra nevada, and again, thats not sacramento either. the maples, elms, poplars, redbuds, etc are for the most part non-native as well. some of the palms are native to southern california, and the most common you see in Sac are the Mexican fan palm, king and queen palms and the washington palm (like the ones at sutters fort) and the non-native canary island palm which you find in front of many victorian and historical homes, due to the fact that in victorian times having palm trees was a status symbol. thats why you find them in non tropical areas with victorian architecture like san francisco, sac, arcata, eureka (carson mansion) to name a few....

for me i like the palms trees in sac, because it mixes with the other trees from all the different climates representing all of california, which is fitting since it is the capital. but to each their own