View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
I think you nailed it. They should fence it it except at crossings. Be totally ugly but that didn't stop local governments from installing suicide barriers on bridges.
Technically it is fenced along most of the Promenade, and where it isn't, it is quite elevated on top of a berm.

Along the promenade, almost all conflicts happen at the crossings. Most of the time someone gets hit it is because they are trying to beat the train, or are unaware it is there (I can't believe it happens but it does). To improve safety, all they need to do is install crossing gates. Only the pier crossing has an active signal, but it would cut down on a lot of accidents if they were all gated.

I used to live there and walked along the promenade several times a week for a few years. And along the promenade I only saw people walking on the tracks once; the little tiny fence does a decent job keeping people back. In some places to the West of the station they cross the tracks to the beach, but that's not so much a problem. It is further east where the drunk assholes hang out (I think trespassing on Native land too) where they taunt the train by standing on the tracks taking selfies of the BNSF freight trains barreling down on them. That's where they need a fence.