View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:23 PM

Canada's indigenous people are historically marginalised and this has continued into the present day. We need do all we can to fix that relationship. I wouldn't consider that as anything but a net gain for society (whether you are "white" or not). I'm not sure what that has to do with the art gallery per se. The WAG has a great collection of Inuit art (which is world renowned - like it or not) so they want to build a place to showcase it. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Nuh-uh, you don't get to do that. You made a very good post and then brandished me and others with the same lame bullshit buzzword crap that SJW's use on twitter to get people they disagree with fired from jobs. Your post was otherwise strong, but it doesn't need that.

You're right, we should have cultural celebration, but it struggles to stay afloat because we have so many problems that the joys of the culture don't come across as authentic! The indigenous communities have so much to offer but when politics come into play and 70% of Winnipeg's population (white people) needs to read another quote slamming "the white man", people feel pushed away, irritated.

It simply feels forced when we deal with or read about the indigenous issues plaguing their own people and our city on a daily basis, only to devote more art centres or sculptures to them. BC's aboriginals are as a whole much more successful, making it a seemless process to celebrate that culture. We're clouded in too much struggle and cynicism so I'd rather address that first.

I DO think part of the solution is helping the aboriginal communities celebrate themselves, but as I said, it's too constant thing. Celebrating helps bring some joy, but I wish for some elbow grease and hard problem solving alongside. "The white man" can help but the source if these efforts has to come from within their own ranks.

Our approximate, rough breakdown is 70% white, 20% visible minority, 10% aboriginal. We can stop pretending like the other 90% don't politically matter either.