View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
There are many Goldeyes fans that would be disappointed to see the team and/or league fold. The team provides 50 home games of entertainment each year for those fans. The Goldeyes are a well run organization and have been good corporate citizens for this city. As much as I am glad we will now have a soccer team in Winnipeg with the Valour FC, it would be a shame if it was at the expense of our baseball team. Losing revenue from 50 home games for baseball at Shaw Park in favour of 14 home games for soccer may not be the best option. Perhaps it makes the most sense for the Valour FC to play out of IGF as they may require a larger venue anyway due to the popularity of soccer in this city.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for it to happen. In my view the more teams in town, the better.

I'm just saying that soccer isn't quite established enough to justify a new 5 to 10 thousand seat pro venue right away. However, if something were ever to happen to the AA/Goldeyes, the ballpark could probably be reconfigured for soccer in a hurry. But for now, IGF will do.