View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 AM

I've probably been the biggest booster of mass transit expansion within Phila and the Delaware Valley. For commuter rail, it's simple: just revive all the former PRR and Reading branches, with the Exception of the Norristown and Chestnut Hill lines, which would be integrated with the subway system (West Chester, Reading, Allentown, Easton, Kennett Sq), and NJT should do the same for for South Jersey (Vineland, Cape May, Ocean City, and all the White Horse and Black Horse communities).

The Phila subway system should be with expanded lines of the BSL and MFL going both directions (from Chester to Jenkintown for the BSL, and Darby to Forest Hlls in the Far NE for the MFL), a 5th St-Passyunk line through SW Philly to Darby and North and NE Philly to Fox Chase, another crosstown line from Chester through SW Phila via the airport line and connecting 30th St the Zoo, and North Philly points via the Amtrak line and Erie Ave w/ a subway, and the NE also via State Rd to Bensalem Blvd w/ a Parkway shuttle to the Library, museums, and ending at the zoo and an express airport shuttle connecting to 30th St via Arch St to Penns Landing. And also, the Norristown and Chestnut Hill lines to CC, 30th St, and UC via a North Philly subway line adjacent to the old Reading main line and JFK Blvd.

I feel that PATCO should stick to their original expansion plan of connecting to Maple Shade and Woodbury, with extensions also to Cherry Hill NJT Station and Deptford Mall via two Camden subway tunnels and a Vine St subway connecting to the Pkwy and 30th St. The long distance commuter service (Glassboro, Medford, etc.) should be handled by NJT.

But alas, all this should've been done in the past, and this makes me want to go back in time an do all this myself!!!