View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
That would actually be really cool - give non-students and visitors a reason to come to the 1604 campus for more than the occasional music performance (many/most gallery shows are done at the Blue Star complex) and home basketball/softball/vollyball games (roadrunner baseball is usually played at Wolfe stadium).
Am I the only one who thinks that the ITC is a really (really) disappointing place?

The space is terrible and the exhibits are like something put together at 8th grade science fair. I have been a few times and have never come away with anything other than an overwhelming desire to take a wrecking ball to the building myself. Even the Hemisfair exhibit recently was interesting in content but so poor in presentation that I gave up on it.

If the space gets moved, that may be a chance for them to really improve upon the museum and draw folks out to give them a new first impression.

I think we are all off base to want the ITC moved onto a UTSA campus. There isn't a more sure way to guarantee no one will ever see it again. Even people who attend UTSA hate trying to get there and park.

Why not get the city and UTSA to find a reusable structure (a couple of stories tall) in River North near the SAMA...? The thing that increases museum attendance as much as anything is it's proximity to other museums. Plus, it would add to the "cultural" fabric of River North and would help to put pressure on the ITC to improve their offerings so as not to be embarrassed to be in the same neighborhood as SAMA and (to a lesser degree) the McNay. It would also be accessible by the streetcar from downtown, which is arguably a better position for it than it currently has (across a blazing parking lot from the TOA and near absolutely nothing else at all...).

Who is with me? ITC to be reborn in River North.