View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 1:18 AM

My wish list:

Cover the boat section of I-5. We can never take away the damage I-5 has done to our city, but lets try to fix as much as we can.

Mixed use on the R street corridor. This seems to be the place for young urbans are drawn to. Allow for plenty of bars/restaurants/retail at ground level. Lofts above.

Nice tall apartment buildings south of Capitol Mall.

More tall office buildings on Capitol Mall. I don’t think housing will work here.

Office towers along L Street. But please no more ugly parking structures stinking up the joint. (I’m talking to you, US Bank Building)

K Street seems to be morphing into an entertainment district. Let’s make that happen.

The Community Center Theather needs a facelift. Make it a glass fronted jewel box along Capitol Park.

Hotels along J Street. Let’s start with a Mandarin Oriental at 3rd and J where the Denny’s is. Is anyone else embarrassed that the first thing people see when the exit the free way is a parking lot for Denny’s?

Get moving on the DNA line. I'd like to see one go down Arden Way out to Sunrise Mall too.

Let D&S development have a crack at the old brick buildings in the Rivers District. I’d love to see what they could do with the area between 12th and 16th Street.

We need a real late night dance area. How about some of the old buildings in the Rivers District?

Faces and Badlands are fine, but we need a real sleazy gay club in this town. How about some of the old buildings in the Rivers District?

Better bike connector to Del Paso Blvd. from Downtown. I know it’s been tried before with only limited success, but this are should and can be an arts incubator. Maybe News and Review moving there will help.

Help transform the 65th Street/Elvis area into a more college friendly area. More pubs/ bookstores/headshops/clothing stores/live music venues/bike repair shops. The one bike tunnel on Elvis is great, but make it more porous between Elvis and Sac State with more tunnels.

The city is trying to make Power Inn Road the incubator area for green businesses. Work with Sac State to make it really happen. And forget about the idea of housing natural gas underground there. It’s unsafe.

Build a bridge at Broadway. Build another one at Sutterville Road. We need to be more connected with West Sac.

Stick to the community plan for Oak Park. NO parking lots fronting Broadway at all.

Get moving on the International Marketplace for the Stockton Blvd. corridor. This seems to be the only area in town immune from the economic slowdown. A street car down Stockton Blvd. would be outstanding. I’d really like to see a huge South East Asian Festival happen every spring. It would be a big regional draw.

Politically, the city should move towards a strong mayor system; making city council members full time and should incorporate parts of South Sac, Rosemont and Arden arcade into the city boundaries.