View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 6:25 PM

^you have a hard time sticking to a specific topic. I haven't advocated for a new tallest, it would be nice to see, but I don't think it will happen in the next 3 years. By that time, rents in Portland will probably average $35/sq ft so a top notch lawyer firm, or some other company, might pay an additional $10/sq ft to have the premier address in Portland.

The widespread mentality is not there to pay for more expensive space when the going rate today is so much lower. However, the mentality didn't exist to buy a condo at $500/sq ft just 4 years ago, and now they are going for as high as $1000/sq ft. Markets change, Portland's downtown tenants are probably at the beginning of this higher price per square foot realization. Once rents go up, as they have been, new construction will gain pre-development tenants when they think they are getting a fair deal.

I only posted this to debunk your 'fact' that the tax in Portland is driving people to Lake O when in fact it isn't, as our central business vancancy rate is extremely low. Dave Lister, who moved to save himself $3000 a year in taxes, though he admits he still pays that money now in additional transporation costs, does not speak for all of Portland's business community, although you libertarians treat him like a God because he moved his small firm of ten employees to Tigard and declared that Portland is dying.