View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
I think I am following correctly. My response was to #41 above, your response was #43...

Kruse Way rents are over $30 per sq ft and there have been, I think, 5 or 6 100,000+ sq ft buildings built since the last major office tower downtown was built.
True. Part of this is because the Kruse Corridor and the 26 Corridor are the major office markets on the west side; easily accessible from Eugene on up the I-5 corridor, yet there was no planning to centralize the development in any sort of downtowns, which, if done correctly, would have offered better amenities to office workers (within walking distance of their workplaces), such as:

-centralized restaurants & food carts
-parks, plazas and other open space available for office workers to relax in (currently, you can hang out in the parking lot next to noisy I-5 and breathe pollution! the fun...)
-mass transit capable of serving a large concentration of jobs (doesn't work well when the buildings are all 1/4 mile apart on a 5-mile strip)
-centralized parking structures to serve more than one building - and can charge $ for revenue instead of money-losing free parking lots provided by each business

and there are others as well. However, Beavertronia, LO, Tigard and Tualatin just don't have their act together, and it's far too late to alter the built landscape. Rents are up, but the only result is, unfortuantely, sprawl.

further note: I worked for 3 years at the confluence of I-5 & 217