View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was at the airport in Calgary last week and got talking with the lady next to me. She's originally from Winnipeg and couldn't understand how anyone would want to live in downtown Winnipeg. She was probably in her 60's, but for sure 50's. She said it's been so long since downtown was bustling, she doesn't ever see it working. I said it'll take time for people to bring downtown back to it's glory.

that's just it. its going to take just as much time to bring it back, as it did to decline. Generations people, not just a few years. Same goes for West Broadway, or any area. Slowly but surely, it will change one way or another.
I think the baby boomers are by and large a total writeoff when it comes to their perceptions about downtown. They're old enough to remember the "glory days" and all they can see is how far things have fallen since Portage Avenue was the place to go for shopping, movies, dining, etc. They are completely soured on downtown... among my coworkers, it's that cohort that tends to avoid downtown as much as they possibly can, and zips back out to Lorette, Charleswood or West St. Paul as fast as they can after work.

Gen Xers are a bit warmer to downtown, but it's really the millennials that have a new attitude and are receptive to downtown living. Whereas the Gen Xers spent their free time in the suburbs, going to the mall, etc., millennials seem more likely to be hanging out in urban settings, so things are moving in the right direction. At least that's my impression.