View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I don't really agree about them restoring more of the islands natural vegetation. They should have a few minor spots of restored area, but to cordon it off seems strange. I was hoping to see a very open, urban design where you could literally see from end to end of the island. I don't think people realize just how massive this thing is.

I am really pushing for something more urban. Tall vegetation everywhere is just not attractive for many people. I will reserve judgement for later because I have not seen the design yet.
I gotta disagree with you. The inner city has loads of parks with little or no natural vegetation areas; Central Memorial, most of Prince's Island, the green spaces by Fort Calgary and the Talisman Centre, a majority of the Bow pathways from Crowchild to Pearce Estate/Nose Creek, Sien Lok Park, Riley Park, Rotary Park, Murdoch Park, Crescent Heights Park. Most of these are large grass areas with trees at the perimeter, maybe some small patches of natural vegetation in some. A more natural approach would be good for St. Patrick's.

To me, I think of an "urban" park as one that has urban activity at the edges, which interacts with the park in an interesting way. Something like Central Memorial, Crescent Heights or Sien Lok, or (more in the future than today) Murdoch Park or the Riverwalk. St Patrick's doesn't have anything urban directly adjacent to it, and (except potentially a little bit along the road) never will.