View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I think Dorval is the only place left that officially uses "cité" from what I've read. I'm pretty sure both Rouyn and Noranda used it as well until they merged into the Ville de Rouyn-Noranda in the mid 1980s. Didn't many more Quebec cities use it in the past until about the 1960s and 1970s? (I've never researched it but I remember seeing "cité" in old photos, documents and records.
That is correct. Though it's virtually disappeared at this point. This may have coincided with the abandoning of quasi-systematic bilingualism across much of Quebec. A lot of places were likely "Cité de / City of" back then.

But yeah I do remember seeing the word "Cité de Hull" before, but this was quite some time before the merger that created the new Gatineau. At that point the term had been "Ville de Hull" for a couple of decades I'd say.

And when the location of the Olympic Park in Montreal was announced, it was said to be in the "Cité de Maisonneuve" which was an formerly separate municipality that eventually merged with the City of Montreal.