View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 12:02 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post

Yes on 8 - I changed my mind. I hate to change the constitution, but I'll be darned if I'm gonna stand by and allow the state seal (which partially - One 37 millionth - belongs to me) to affirm a sham contract. (Let the flaming begin.) I love all my gay peeps, but I have a right as a citizen to decide which contracts I think are right and proper, and I just don't think gays should marry. Sorry. It does not hurt your freedom, you can still sign "partnership" contracts. You can still call yourself married. You can still have your relationship. Proposition 8 does nothing to affect that stuff. It's simply about recognition. In fact, I see voting for 8 as an exercise in my freedom - to decide which contracts I think are proper and which ones I think are crap. We would not have to do this, but some elitist judges decided to overturn the will of 60% of the voters. Evidently, they think they have a right to decide the constitutionality of laws. I don't (I know I'm alone on this one, but I don't care. The citizens should decided constitutionality with the mandate they give those they elect.)
In general, you as a citizen have NO RIGHT to decide which contracts are proper. Did you vote on the rental agreement I entered into last month? You have a RIGHT to enter into which contracts you deem fit. The courts then have the RIGHT to decide if those contracts are in accord with many things, one being public policy and another the CA Constitution.

Your ideology and irrational thinking is in accord with those that used to say "its just a contract," and "the state has the right to decide which relationships it will recognize." Those were the arguments used to deny interracial couples the right to marry marrying. Congrats, you're a bigot.

I could go on and on about how wrong you are legally, but I'm sure you don't care. The crap you spill on this forum sounds like you've been reading old Harry Browne Libertarian books. As such, you apparently feel like you know something about the law. Trust me, you don't.