View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 9:16 PM

For anyone interested in checking out the full blueprints for the BeltLine extension, they’re now available here: http://beltline.org/about/work-with-...tation-to-bid/

For anyone too lazy to sift through all the blueprints, here are some things that I find interesting:

These plans call for lighting--and not just along the extension from Irwin to Memorial--but from Piedmont Park to Memorial. I would have expected the BeltLine to bid that separately, but apparently they’re planning to just go ahead and do it all whenever they get started with the extension. Big thumbs up.

Speaking of lighting, the plans call for a LOT of it in the Krog Tunnel. There will also be new railings in the tunnel, and fancy pavers on the east side walkway. I don’t think the tunnel will look all that different, which is a good thing in my opinion, but it will definitely be more welcoming and easier to get through--at least before the crowds show up. (I do wonder if all the new lighting will just emphasize how dirty it really is.)

The plans appear to significantly cut into the property with the old warehouse/gallery/studio/whatever at the northwest corner of Krog and Dekalb. Same goes for the large pile of dirt perpetually covered in kudzu on the lot next door (to the west). It looks like the trail will be located at least 10 feet away from Dekalb Avenue. The area where the sidewalk is now will be a bioretention swale and a line of trees will separate the trail from vehicular traffic. The chain-link fence and a big portion of the “yard” between that building and Dekalb Avenue would disappear and be turned into a sort of staging area for pedestrians.

Plans call for “clear and grub” of all trees and vegetation along the north side of Wylie. That’s architect speak for “complete elimination of everything.” This includes the mature maples (which provide great color in the fall) and all of the large holly bushes along the Hulsey wall. I’m not being alarmist here—I fully support the design—I’m just pointing this out for anyone that might have been curious about how the trail would integrate existing trees and vegetation.

The trail along Wylie will be separated from the road by trees. Crape Myrtles—meh—to be exact. I’d have preferred maple or gingko for fall foliage, or something that grows fast and could provide shade, but then again they didn’t hire me to be the landscape architect. Opinions are like assholes, I suppose.

As others have pointed out, the trail along Dekalb and along Wylie will be 10’ wide, as opposed to the 18’ wide trails build on old rail corridor. If you’re wondering how it will be possible to have bikes and groups of people walking on the trail, my answer is that it won’t. I’m assuming that the only people that will be biking on the trail along Wylie are the morons who already bike on the sidewalk, and normal people will just use the road like they always have—at least for this stretch of trail. I also don’t expect the trail to be anywhere near as crowded as it is north of Irwin.

The wooded area at the corner of Kenyon and Kirkwood that separates Kenyon from the Beltline has apparently been acquired by the BeltLine and will be a glade with a small meandering path.

The bridge over Mauldin/Fulton Terrace will be refurbished (much like the bridge over Ponce). Unlike Ponce, there will be steps and a ramp to provide access to the trail from the road below.

I seem to recall some sort of design for Wylie that involved planted medians at Krog and near Flat Shoals (in fact, it’s still on the BeltLine’s web page), but those are nowhere to be found in the blueprints. I’m not sure if that’s because it’s in public right of way and the City would be responsible, or if the idea has been scrapped altogether.

Not in the plans but worth remembering that the metal wall along Wylie belongs to CSX and it does not appear that anything will be done to change its appearance. Personally, I’m in favor of status quo on that front but if you were holding out hopes of something fancier, you can stop wondering.