View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:12 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
In the 80's I along with my family made it across the Yugoslavia border to Austria, where they were shooting people who did not halt. We applied legally to come to Canada and came in as political refugees after living in Austria for some significant time as official refugees.

These pieces of shit (pardon my language) are nothing but economic migrants entering Canada illegally from a safe country. They are que jumpers and nothing but criminals and imo should be treated as such. Sorry for me being so bitter but unlike everyone else here I actually came to Canada via the refugees system and find the opinions of many here highly insulting.
I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

However, I do have to point out that the sponsored refugee stream (as you were) is not the de facto or more legitimate stream. In a normal year, about half of refugees arrive sponsored by Canadians or the government, and the other half (10 000 or so, depending on the year) arrive un-sponsored by just showing up either by land, air or sea. They're not playing the system - that is the system.

In fact, Canada actually has legal obligations towards un-sponsored refugees (by international law) in a way that it does not have towards sponsored refugees. It's an accident of geography and history that Canada generally doesn't receive a whole lot of un-sponsored refugees, so we take in a larger number of sponsored refugees. But just because that has been the de facto stream does not make it the de jure stream or any more or less legitimate.