View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roner View Post
That's odd considering Seattle spawned grunge

Maybe so, but all of those bands (in the words of Curt Cobian) stole the sound from a Portland band by the name of the Wipers. The Wipers cut records in the early to mid 80s that sounded much like grunge, long before the term grunge ever came along.

Anyways, I don't think Portland has any complex about Seattle at all, at least not that I've ever noticed. It's not something people even consider in my mind.
I was not referring to anything technical or who did what and where, first. Although I am aware of the Wipers and their contribution, someone from Seattle just happened to propel it into the mainstream. Portland, you do not need a baseball team, a football team or even the Trailblazers. There is so much more going on down there. I do not much care for our sports teams and one may be leaving and not many people in Seattle care if the Sonics stay or go. I guess I'm speaking from a non-sports fan point of view, but having a MLB or NFL team does not have the same significance as it once did. It does not mean that your city has arrived. Portland has already arrived and without all the professional sports fuss and the money it drains from more important issues.

Last edited by Black Box; Jan 26, 2007 at 8:24 PM.